Bridging the gap

As I decided to re-visit the world of blogging, I debated on whether I wanted to work from my previous creation, or start from scratch.  I decided to begin where I left off (no, there weren't many previous posts), but they were the beginning of this new life of mine.  In an effort to bridge the gap from 2013 to now, I decided to do a (somewhat) quick recap post half marathon.

After training and killing myself for months, I finished the Halloween Half and was incredibly proud of myself.  I finished the race at 2 hours and 8 minutes, which turned out to be my personal best.  Due to knee issues, running more than 3 miles is no longer possible.


The night of the half I took my battered body out for a wild night on the town with my amazing friend Derrek.  We laughed, talked, and I probably monopolized the majority of the conversation.  Overall we had a great time and I ended that weekend feeling happy, confident and ready to put myself out there.

I'd like to preface this next part with the fact that I was looking to meet new people and enjoy being single.  I was in no way looking for a relationship.  In fact, I was pretty sure that I would never get married again.  I thought marriage was a trap and anyone who said they were happy was probably lying...I may be been slightly bitter.  Anyhoo, I digress...

In looking to "put myself out there", I was brought to the scary realm of online dating (insert ominous music).  I decided to start with Zoosk via Facebook simply because it had been all over my feed after changing my relationship status to 'single'.  It was "free to join", and I'd learn pretty quickly that it meant just that; free to join.  I created my profile and realized that if I actually wanted to see any of the messages sent to me, I'd have to pay for it.  Being in a financially precarious situation at that time, I was not in a position to pay for such services.  To Google I went.

I found a 100% free dating site; datehookup.com.  Classy right?  Amid the hundreds of ads and click bait I created my profile.  Within about 30 minutes I was ready to close said account.  There are a lot of freaks out there.  A lot.  As my mouse was searching for the "delete account" option, I calmed myself down and decided to give it a couple of days.  What I needed was a filter system in order to weed out the the losers and/or freaks.  This probably sounds like i was being a bit harsh, but if you haven't tried online dating; you can't judge me.  In case you're interested, my parameters are listed below.

1.  Must have legitimate and reliable job
2.  Must not smoke
3.  Must live within a 15-20 mile radius
4.  Must have some common interests
5.  No strong religious affiliation
6.  And my personal favorite (this usually discarded them immediately); absolutely no cheesy and/or creepy pick up lines.

Enter Joe.  He messaged me the next day and asked if I was into photography.  This being a valid question (my profile pic was a selfie with a camera strap around my neck) I responded to him.  Of course I did take a few minutes to check his profile before sending a response.  It didn't take long before my "nothing serious" rule was out the window.  Every day I am so grateful that I didn't close my account that first night.  It was by far the greatest reward I have ever received from taking a risk.


In June 2014 I FINALLY sold my house in Farmington!  After years of trying and failing to sell it, it actually happened!  It took a lot of work and I got a TON of help, but it happened.  It was like this enormous weight that I had been carrying on my shoulders for years was removed.  There was a lot I loved about that house, but the feeling of moving on was indescribable.  I moved into Joe's apartment in Layton and after a few months we relocated to a townhouse in Farmington.  I loved that townhouse and miss it dearly.  I mean, it had a tank less water heater.  Nothing can compete with that.


We got engaged in March of 2015 and decided to get married during our vacation to Hawaii that had already been scheduled.  On May 12, 2015 I was lucky enough to marry my best friend in the most beautiful setting I could have imagined.  It. Was. Incredible!  It was just the two of us for the ceremony in Maui, so we decided to have a reception a few months later for our friends and family.  We gathered in Park City, UT on July 11th.  Friends and family traveled from near and far to celebrate with us, and it was amazing to feel so much love from them.





Within 5 months of getting married, we found out we were expecting!  When you're in your mid-thirties and have serious concerns regarding your fertility, you do not waste time.  Here we are more than 3 years later and I'm still a little shocked that it didn't require serious intervention to make our dream a reality.


Brecken Knox Pettigrew joined our family on June 17, 2016, and I think I speak for both of us when I say that being parents in the greatest, most frustrating, incredible experience ever!



August 29, 2016 (4 days before I returned to work after maternity leave) Joe came home with the news that we were moving to Minot, North Dakota.  Not exactly our dream location.  I cried.  A lot.  It was always in the back of my mind that we would eventually be moved, but there is a huge difference between a thought and reality.  Sometimes reality can knock you on your ass.  On December 5th we started our journey towards the frozen tundra.  We arrived after their first big storm of the season, and would get over 6 feet of snow that winter.  Welcome to North Dakota!  If the over abundance of snow doesn't kill you, the subzero temperatures will.


When Brecken turned one we decided that if we were going to grow our little family, there was no time like the present.  The morning of November 20, 2017 I took a pregnancy test and was shocked/elated to see two pink lines.  We were ecstatic to learn we'd be giving Brecken a baby brother!  Sawyer Kai Pettigrew was born the morning of July 16, 2018.



Here we are now.  This is our 3rd winter in the ever-charming North Dakota tundra.  Christmas was 4 days ago.  The new year is looming and here I am feeling hopeful I can keep this thing up.  For clarification, this is NOT a New Year's resolution (I'd like to think my dedication to this will last longer than a resolution would).  

Comments

  1. I just wrote a long heartfelt comment... Then it deleted... Apparently I had to be logged in 🤦...

    I love, love, love your recap! Well done considering all that has changed in such a short time. You are the perfect example of starting anew and making the most out of any situation or circumstances. When your boys get older and go through rough times (as we all do) you'll be able to share with them all of your hard struggles and you'll get to explain that you were able to get through by never giving up and working hard. What a great example you are. Love you friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m not sure my other comment posted. Hey Lindsey! Anyway, I loved the blog and it sure brought back memories! I remember the half marathon Halloween race almost like it was yesterday. I had so much fun with you Shanna, making the costume and driving you, then returning to watch you finish with Kaden. I also totally enjoyed your wonderful story of meeting Joe, getting married and having those wonderful babies come into your lives! My vote is you keep writing as you have some wonderful skills. (I’m not prejudice). Now I just hope you get some quiet time to gather your thoughts and write.
    Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Vacation 2013

Training